The white-collar criminal defense team at Stumphauzer Kolaya Nadler & Sloman is led by former federal prosecutors who apply their inside expertise to defend our clients in a diverse range of sophisticated white-collar criminal investigations and prosecutions.
White Collar Criminal Defense
The white-collar criminal defense team at Stumphauzer Kolaya Nalder & Sloman is led by former federal prosecutors who apply their inside expertise to defend our clients in a diverse range of sophisticated white-collar criminal investigations and prosecutions. Our attorneys defend publicly- traded corporations, boards of directors and compliance committees, officers and directors, and licensed professionals in some of the largest, high-profile and complex white-collar criminal cases, including allegations of:
- Health Care Fraud
- Anti-Kickback Violations
- Securities Fraud
- Bank Fraud
- Mail and Wire Fraud
- Environmental Crimes
- Money Laundering
- Tax Fraud and Tax Evasion
- Other Business Crimes
Our skilled federal trial attorneys know how to effectively defend clients throughout all stages of a criminal case. Our attorneys have personally resolved numerous white-collar investigations in a variety of fields ranging from healthcare to banking and everything in between. We recognize the stakes are high and the mere filing of a criminal charge can be catastrophic to a corporations, corporate executives, and licensed professionals, both financially and personally. We use our combined experience to help you reach a positive and efficient result for you both personally and professionally.
A proactive, aggressive and informed approach
The white-collar criminal defense attorneys at Stumphauzer Kolaya Nadler & Sloman advocate swiftly and aggressively for clients facing criminal allegations. We do not wait for the government to investigate and build a case against you. Our attorneys move quickly to assess your exposure and design a comprehensive risk-mitigation strategy. We guide you through the grand jury process, helping you to comply with your obligations, while protecting your interests.
When faced with a serious criminal allegation, hiring an attorney with experience as a prosecutor is crucial. As former federal prosecutors, our lawyers know firsthand how government agencies investigate and prosecute fraud allegations and other serious corporate-related crimes. We understand the critical importance of engaging with the government, beginning with the initial investigation phase. When dealing with prosecutors and agents, we take a proactive role and present a coherent explanation of the facts to persuade government lawyers to refrain from filing charges. Our attorneys have a wealth of experience dealing with federal investigative agencies, including:
- Federal Bureau of Investigation (FBI)
- Secret Service
- Internal Revenue Service-Criminal Investigation Division (IRS-CID)
- U.S. Department of Health & Human Service-Office of Inspector General (HHS-OIG)
- U.S. Department of Housing and Urban Development (HUD)
- Federal Aviation Administration (FAA).
We understand the investigative and enforcement processes and use this knowledge to your advantage. Our attorneys know what the government looks for and focuses on when building a case and understand the dynamics of a prosecutor’s charging decision. We use this experience to develop a strategic approach and limit your exposure. When charges cannot be avoided, our skilled federal trial attorneys will conduct a full investigation and vigorously defend your interests in court.
A Coordinated and Focused Defense Strategy
The unique integration of our attorneys’ expertise with both criminal law and complex business matters equips us to respond effectively to white collar criminal investigations and prosecutions both inside and outside the courtroom. White collar criminal investigations are often coupled with parallel regulatory proceedings, which are independently investigated by state or federal enforcement authorities. In these situations, our attorneys develop a coordinated defense strategy to mitigate issues arising from any ongoing or potential parallel civil enforcement proceedings or private class and shareholder derivative actions.
Our Proven Reputation
We are known for defending individuals and companies in high-profile criminal prosecutions and investigations. We are consistently recognized by national and international publications as one of the top white-collar criminal defense firms in Florida. For example, Chambers & Partners, the most authoritative global publication that ranks law firms and lawyers, has named Ryan Stumphauzer and Jeffrey Sloman as leading Florida white collar crime attorneys, and has recognized our Firm as one of Florida’s best white-collar criminal defense groups. Super Lawyers has also recognized Ryan Stumphauzer as a leading white-collar criminal defense attorney. Martindale Hubbell has also recognized our attorneys’ unsurpassed ethical standards with an AV® Preeminent™ Peer Review Rated. Our attorneys have also been recognized for their strong legal ability and high ethical standards, a designation that is awarded to only ten percent (10%) or attorneys nationwide.
Our attorneys’ backgrounds and experience are the foundation of our reputation. Jeffrey Sloman served as United States Attorney for the Southern District of Florida, capping a 19-year career as a federal prosecutor. Prior to his term as the United States Attorney, Mr. Sloman served in the US Attorney’s Office’s senior management team both as the First Assistant US Attorney and the Chief of the Criminal Division. As a former Assistant United States Attorney, Ryan Stumphauzer was the Health Care Fraud Coordinator for the Southern District of Florida and was also a founding member of South Florida’s Medicare Fraud Strike Force, which has evolved into a national law enforcement program. In that capacity, Mr. Stumphauzer personally handled or supervised hundred of cases, from grand jury investigation through jury trial, involving allegations of health care fraud, money laundering, wire fraud, bank fraud and other business crimes.
You can learn more about how Stumphauzer Kolaya Nadler & Sloman will help guide you through a white-collar crime investigation by scheduling a consultation with our experienced Miami white collar criminal defense attorneys.
- Defended a senior executive of a publicly-traded hospital management corporation in connection with parallel criminal and civil investigations by the Department of Justice and the Department of Health & Human Services, Office of Inspector General, into alleged violations of the Anti-Kickback Statute and Stark Law.
- Represent a management level employee of a Fortune 100 global retailer in connection with a global investigation by the U.S. Department of Justice, the Securities and Exchange Commission, and foreign law enforcement authorities into possible violations of the Foreign Corrupt Practices Act.
- Defended dozens of physicians—including neurologists, cardiologists, dermatologists, oncologists, orthopedic surgeons, interventional pain specialists, and endocrinologists—against criminal investigations involving allegations of upcoding, overutilization, and violations of the Anti-Kickback Statute by the Department of Justice, HHS-OIG and the Florida Attorney General.
- Defended several compounding pharmacies, pharmacy executives, pharmacists, marketing agents, and telemarketing companies against Department of Justice investigations alleging fraud against the Tricare program.
- Successfully represented the founder and senior executive officer of one of South Florida’s largest primary care providers, a Medicare Advantage Plan subcontractor, in connection with an investigation alleging violations of the Anti-Kickback Statute, the Medicare Marketing Guidelines, and the Civil Monetary Penalty Law. The firm further assisted the senior executive officer in assessing complex health care compliance issues.
- Represented a Chinese business executive in a matter involving allegations that a U.S. publicly-traded company violated the Foreign Corrupt Practices Act by paying bribes to Chinese government officials to secure contracts for large municipal projects.
- Represented the Chief Executive Officer of a large Florida hospital in parallel civil and criminal investigations by the Department of Justice, Department of Health & Human Services, and the Federal Bureau of Investigation involving alleged violations of the Anti-Kickback Statute and Stark Law.
NEWS & INSIGHTS
You can learn more about how Stumphauzer Foslid Sloman Ross & Kolaya will help guide you through a white-collar crime investigation by scheduling a consultation with our experienced Miami white collar criminal defense attorneys.